The story of Frane Selak is so unbelievable that you’d walk away from a movie, heck, a documentary of his life thinking it was too unrealistic. But it’s not. It’s a true story. Selak cheated death seven times. He survived a train crashing into a frozen river, a plane crash by getting sucked out of the door, a bus crash, a car crashes and a few explosions. Oh. He also won the lottery after all that too.
Born in 1929 and from Croatia, Frane Selak’s terrifyingly unlucky but incredibly lucky timeline goes like this:
- 1962 – train flips off the track and crashes into a river killing 17 people, Selak survives.
- 1963 – plane crashes killing 19 people but Selak is sucked out of a malfunctioning door and lands in a haystack. He survives.
- 1966 – bus skids off the road and kills 4 people, Selak survives
- 1970 – car catches on fire but he manages to escape before it explodes. He survives.
- 1973 – car catches on fire and shoots flames through the air vents. He survives.
- 1995 – hit by a bus. He survives.
- 1996 – misses head on collision in his car but falls off the road. He’s ejected from his seat and holds onto a tree as the car plummets 300 foot down. He survives.
- 2003 – he wins about a million dollars in the lottery
- 2010 – he gives away the rest of his money to family and friends
That is some life. You can read more about him here and watch his life get animated below:
Image Credit: Telegraph