Connect with us

Ghosts & Hauntings

Manchac -The Ghost Swamp of New Orleans

Manchac Swamp also known as Ghost Swamp is a wetland just northwest of New Orleans, Louisiana. The swamp is known for its murky waters and eerie looking trees. The marsh is also home to alligators that creep around on strangely colored waters while waiting for prey. Scary snakes infest the dark surroundings. Broken logs can be seen floating in the swamp. The woods are remnant of the now abandoned lodging towns of Ruddock, Frenier and Napton. Locals consider the swamp haunted not just because it has direct ties to the Rougarou and Cajun werewolves, but also the black magic and voodoo practices that were passed down from generation to generation. One of the most popular stories is about a voodoo priestess named Julia Brown whom according to the legend cursed the swamp before the time of her remarkable death.

The Ghost Swamp: Who is Julia Brown?

According to townsfolk, Julia Brown lived near the end of the swamp and worked in the town of Frenier. Brown was good to the residents and in return, the people respected her. She helped mothers during childbirth and aided in the curing of illness and infections that were difficult to treat and manage. Based on circulated stories, Brown, a good spirited person changed when the village took her for granted. People became ungrateful of her kindness, which led to her to  practice voodoo and curses that terrified the neighborhood.  She was known for making hand gestures that no one could understand and staring at others with an intensity that would terrify a holy man.

According to reports, residents of the town heard Brown singing lyrics that had everyone concerned. She predicted terrible things to those people who wronged her. One of the most infamous of Brown’s prophecies was about her own death and taking everyone to die with her.

Some claimed that Julia Brown didn’t leave a curse but only a prediction to warn the townsfolk. Her voodoo practices were only for healing of the sick and wounded.

Census records show that Julia was born in Louisiana around 1845 under the name of Julia Bernard. In 1880, she married Celestin Brown and changed her name to Julia Brown.  Based on a statement from the modern New Orleans Voodoo priestess, Bloody Mary: “Brown served as a local healer and she was not a revengeful type of person”. She also emphasized that Julia was usually seen singing on her front porch with her guitar. One of the songs had lyrics that went like this “One day I’m going to die and take the whole town with me.”

The Faithful Day of the Ghost Swamp: September 29, 1915

A tremendous storm approached the coast of Louisanna. The once prosperous towns of Ruddock, Frenier, and Napton were swept away by a massive hurricane on September 29, 1915. The very same day when Julia Brown was to be laid to rest in the town of Frenier. The storm was Category 4 with 145 mph sustained winds. According to reports, about 300 people died during this terrifying hurricane that traveled inland from the Caribbean. By October 1, any rescuers that arrived could see those entire communities were no more. A few of the survivors claim to see people screaming for life as they were swallowed by the swamp during the powerful destruction.

A newspaper in 1915. The New Orleans Times-Picayune documented Julia Brown’s funeral on the day of the storm:

“Many pranks were played by wind and tide. Negroes had gathered for miles around to attend the funeral of ‘Aunt’ Julia Brown, an old Negress who was well-known in that section, and was a big property owner. The funeral was scheduled …, ‘Aunt’ Julia had been placed in her casket, and the casket, in turn, had been placed in the customary wooden box and sealed. At 4 o’clock, however, the storm had become so violent that the negroes left the house in a stampede, abandoning the corpse. The corpse was found Thursday and so was the wooden box, but the casket has never been found.”

The Ghost Swamp: Haunting Experience in Manchac

Many tried to rebuild the town again, but most simply abandoned the island that once was Julia’s isolated home. The reputation of the Manchac Swamp became a hot spot for paranormal activities and was featured several times in paranormal TV shows.

Visitors and locals report spooky tales of moans and screams from an unknown woman’s voice. Cries from the victims of the old hurricane are mentioned that can still be faintly heard in the distance. However no one can be found. Residents even say the night air rings to a song similar to what Julia Brown played on her guitar about her strange death.

BoobalooTheStink posted a story on Reddit describing his terrifying experience with what he believes is Julia Brown cackling in the Manchac Swamp.

Whether or not the Ghost of Julia Brown haunts Manchac Swamp is perhaps best left to anyone who has lived there or have experienced her ghost. The only thing that is certain is the legend of Julia Brown has left either a curse or a warning to the inhabitants of Manchac swamp.

 

Interesting links:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/88132/legend-and-truth-voodoo-priestess-who-haunts-louisiana-swamp

https://roadtrippers.com/stories/the-legend-of-julie-white-the-death-predicting-voodoo-queen-of-manchac-swamp?lng=-96.67528&lat=40.80972&z=4

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/frenier-cemetery

http://973thedawg.com/the-legend-of-voodoo-priestess-julia-brown-who-haunts-the-manchac-swamp-video/

https://weather.com/tv/shows/american-supernatural/video/the-legend-of-julia-brown

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/30gs9d/aunt_julia_in_ruddock/

Comments

Ghosts & Hauntings

Reality show to be filmed in medieval “haunted castle” in Wales

British celebrities will take part in a reality show at the medieval castle of Grich in the city-county of Conwy (Wales), which, according to legend, is full of ghosts. It is reported by The Sun.

According to data from open sources, the castle was built in 1283-1289 by order of Edward I of England. For four years one and a half thousand people erected the fortress and walls. The castle is surrounded by a stone wall with round towers and loopholes. 

According to local residents, the ghost of the previous owner, Countess Dandonald, who died in 1924, wanders around the castle. According to legend, the woman’s spirit is angry because her husband took the valuables out of here. 

About ten years ago, a mysterious silhouette appeared in the photo, which was noticed on the first floor of the castle in the former banquet hall. In addition, it is rumored that objects are moving mysteriously in the castle. Also, fans of everything mystical believe that there you can meet the ghosts of gamekeepers and a maid who died after falling from a horse.

The creators of the reality survival show I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! Became interested in the legends of the ancient castle, in which celebrities perform creepy tasks. 

The producers are delighted with Greich Castle. It is planned to spend almost 1 million pounds and six weeks to prepare the location for filming.

Continue Reading

Ghosts & Hauntings

Loftus Hall is the most famous haunted house

Almost any house built 150 years ago is tempting to think of ghosts. Of course, if it was not restored beyond recognition. But a special pleasure is to visit, or at least look at photographs of a house in which ghosts are definitely found. Well, exactly: in the opinion of its owners and those who live nearby.

Loftus Hall is one of those. Even if, in the opinion of the locals, ghosts were not found in it, they would be worth inventing again – this is how the atmosphere of this gloomy house located on the windswept and washed by waves of the Hook Peninsula in the Irish County of Wexford has to do this.

But, before we tell you what is so paranormal in this Loftus Hall, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with real historical events related to the house. Moreover, they are worthy of attention without any devilry.

Photo # 2 - Loftus Hall: Ireland's Most Famous Haunted House
Photoloftushall.ie

We can say that the history of the house began in 1135, when the Norman knight, Raymond Le Gros, landed on the peninsula. To assimilate faster, the knight renamed himself the more familiar to the Irish ear by the name Redmond.

The castle, built by the knight, stood for two centuries, until in 1350 the descendants of Redmond built a new house in its place. It is interesting that they were building right during the Black Death – a plague pandemic that arrived in Ireland by ship from Bristol a year earlier. The new house, Redmond Hall, was named.

Photo # 3 - Loftus Hall: Ireland's Most Famous Haunted House
Photo: Shutterstock

Three centuries later, in 1650, the house became the site of one of the fiercest sieges of the Irish Uprising. The owner of the house, 68-year-old Alexander Redmond, with his two sons, a couple of local activists and a tailor who happened to be in the house at an unfortunate time, barricaded himself and bravely repulsed the attack of almost 90 British for several days. 

In all fairness, most of these Englishmen have crawled into neighboring villages, indulging in robbery and violence, instead of laying siege to an impregnable home.

The attack was repulsed with the help of the Irish forces arrived in time, which attacked the British under the cover of a thick fog, which in time fell on the Hoek Peninsula.

According to local chronicles, Alexander repelled several more attacks. When the British nevertheless conquered Ireland in general, and Redmond Hall in particular, Cromwell even let Alexander die in peace in his own house – for his courage.

Photo # 4 - Loftus Hall: Ireland's Most Famous Haunted House
Photoloftushall.ie

Well, after the death of Redmond, his relatives were evicted from the house and soon the house was sold to a family of Englishmen named Loftus, who live nearby. 

Subsequently, the Redmond repeatedly tried to sue Loftus Hall back, but to no avail. But as compensation, they were given land in the neighborhood.

The Loftuses moved rapidly up the court stairs. If in the 18th century the head of the family was called Baron Loftus of Loftus Hall, then already in 1800 the title of Marquis of Eli was created especially for the Loftus.

Actually, the 4th Marquess of Ely gave the modern look to Loftus Hall. A major renovation was undertaken by the Marquis in the second half of the 19th century: he very much hoped that Queen Victoria would come to visit. After all, the Marquis’s mother was her maid of honor!

Photo # 5 - Loftus Hall: Ireland's Most Famous Haunted House
Photoloftushall.ie

The Queen never came. But the 4th Marquis of Ely became the owner of a luxurious house with such unprecedented conveniences as flush toilets at that time. And, alas, the owner of huge debts. Soon the house had to be sold and its wanderings began among different owners.

In 1917, the house was sold to the monastery order of the Sisters of Providence. In 1983, the house was converted into a hotel. Well, in the early 2000s, it was acquired by the Quickly family. In 2020, it became known that the house was again put up for sale. Moreover, Quickly emphasize that they will not choose a new owner, but “the house will choose him.” And that’s why…

The story of how the devil sailed to Loftus Hall and what happened after his visit dates back to the 19th century. It sounds like this.

On a cold rainy night, a dark-robed rider rode up to Loftus Hall on a dark horse. He said that his ship was caught in a storm and had to dock in a nearby bay. The Loftuses were away, the family of their distant relatives, the Tottenham, lived in the house. They sheltered the rider and offered him shelter and bread.

Photo # 6 - Loftus Hall: Ireland's Most Famous Haunted House
Photoloftushall.ie

Tottenham’s daughter, young Anna, immediately fell in love with a mysterious stranger. A couple of days later, in the evening, everyone sat down to play cards. During the game, Anna dropped the map and, bending down to pick it up, saw that the stranger had cloven hooves instead of legs.

The stranger realized that he had been discovered. He immediately soared up, surrounded by devilish flames – and, as expected, made a huge hole in the roof.

It would seem that the devil is expelled, you can live on. But Anna, after the disappearance of the stranger, became not herself. She went crazy by leaps and bounds. The family, frightened by this development of affairs, locked the girl in her favorite sewing room.

There Anna sat, almost motionless, clasping her knees with her hands and soon died. 

According to another version of the legend, before her death, she managed to give birth to a child – that is, the devil did not lose time during two days in the house. 

Anna was not buried in an ordinary coffin: they could not straighten her and buried her in a sitting position, in which she spent the last months of her life.

Since then, according to numerous testimonies of guests and owners of the house, ghosts of a girl have been walking around the house. And the house itself has become a place of attraction for lovers of everything paranormal and creepy – excursions, especially popular on Halloween, are regularly conducted in Loftus Hall.

If you consider yourself a mystic, but do not have the opportunity to visit Loftus Hall yet, we recommend watching the gothic horror film The Lodgers 2017. It is filmed entirely in the luxe and eerie interiors of Loftus Hall, and has received excellent critical reviews. Here’s the trailer:

Continue Reading

Ghosts & Hauntings

The ghost of the Haycock Manor Hotel: a beautiful legend about a frequent visitor to an ancient building

For decades, the Haycock Manor Hotel, located in the small English village of Wansford, has attracted tourists by claiming to be the home of the ghost of Queen Mary Stuart.

Mary of Scotland, aka Mary Stuart, according to legend, visited the Haycock Hotel on the way to Fotheringay Castle, where she was executed. Why, in this case, she chose a hotel in a small village as her last refuge , and not a stone castle, is anyone’s guess. Nevertheless, visitors to the hotel claimed to have seen the ghost of Queen Mary, the Mirror writes.

The last resting place of Mary Stuart

Because of her intrigues against Queen Elizabeth I of England, Mary Stuart was put on trial and sentenced to death, which took place at Fotheringay Castle. On the way to the castle, Mary of Scotch stopped at the Haycock Hotel.

Mary Stuart

Despite the fact that the woman spent only one night in the hotel, this is the place she, for some reason, decided to choose as her last home. At least that’s what those who encountered her ghost say.

Manifestations of supernatural powers

Many of the hotel guests, who ventured to spend the night in the last refuge of Mary Stuart, complained about strange things that happened to them.

Some guests claimed to have seen a ghost, which they identified as Mary of Scotland. Why they were so sure that the ghost was exactly Mary Stuart is not clear, because the history of England has a large number of women rulers, and it is simply impossible to remember them all.

Other hotel guests recall seeing an obscure ghostly cloud-like figure in the oldest part of the hotel. They also shared that they often encountered the feeling that there is someone else in the room – someone who cannot be seen, but can be felt.

Hotel Haycock

Guests also reported that they heard quiet voices and footsteps, although there was no one else in the rooms.

Despite the fact that such stories can scare ordinary people, they are not of interest to real seekers of the paranormal, since they can easily be explained by the dilapidated state of the building.

haycock hotel

Haycock Manor is currently closed for renovation, which means that if the phenomena of supernatural forces could be explained by the state of the hotel, then after the renovation they should disappear.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

DO NOT MISS

Trending